Friday 7 January 2011

One Finished Scarf and Photo Tent

This week I got a photo lighting tent.  I've been thinking about it for a while because I wanted to improve my crafting photography.  I always felt that my finished objects never looked as good as they could, because of the background clutter.  As I had finished my new scarf I thought this would be the ideal opportunity to try my new toy out, especially as it was rather overcast today.

The lighting tent I bought was from eBay, and was 80cm cubed.  This is the item.  I wanted to get one that was large enough to take most of the crafted items that I have made up to now.  It comes with four different background sheets and when the creases have come out of the sheets, I'm sure the photos will look better!

This photo was taken with the cube being placed in front of my large window, where I normally take my photos, but I used a flash as well.  Using the lighting tent meant that the colours weren't bleached out and the shadows were non-existent.

This shot was taken without a flash as it was too close to the scarf to use without causing a big white glare.  I still think it takes a nice clear shot, even without the flash.

I also decided to experiment with the coloured back drops and used the black for this pale scarf.  I'm so glad I did, because it really makes the scarf pop out.

Once again, I used the flash, taking the photo towards the window.  I would like to experiment with using lamps to light the tent and see how that goes, but for now, I think this has worked quite well.

Oh and before I move onto the scarf, I must advise you, if you buy one of these tents, you WILL need this YouTube video to help you get the tent back into it's case, it is not easy to work out yourself!

Now back to the scarf.  I am so pleased with the way it turned out.  It is the perfect length to hang around the neck, crossing over at the throat so it fills the v of my double breasted Winter coat.  The double thickness of the scarf knitted in the round is doubled again by being crossed over, in the gap, and it works wonderfully at keeping me warm.

I cast off using three-needle bind off and added the pompoms during the cast on process.  When I finished the casting off, I picked up and knit all the cast on stitches at the other end and then did a three-needle bind off in the same way, making sure the tube wasn't twisted.

I haven't blocked this scarf as I like the slight wonkiness of the stitches.  I don't know why, it just appeals to me.  The one fault in this new design is the silk yarn winding up the inside of the of the tube of knitting.  You can't see it in some lights, but you can in others.

I've blown up the above photo so you can see what I mean.  When there is a pale background it is almost invisible, but with the black behind the scarf, it shows up.  I really don't think you notice it, when the scarf is being worn, so I'm not going to worry too much about it.  I also think if a darker Kidsilk Haze was used you wouldn't see the silk at all.

Basically I couldn't be happier with my new selfish knit, I sorted out all the things I wanted to with this project and I have worn it out and about already.  I do love it when a plan comes together!

Click on the button below to see other finished objects on Tami's Amis.


Related Posts with Thumbnails