This cushion was made according to the instructions given by my patchwork teacher, as she wants us to learn how to put in zips. If I hadn't been told to make it this way, I probably would have just made an envelope cushion cover (cos I've made those before).
I am well aware that this cushion is far from perfect, because essentially I ran out of energy and just wanted to get it done. However I am pretty proud of it none the less.
The cushion front is only 13" square and I had a 14" zip, so acting on advice received I sewed back and forth across the end of the zip and chopped off a couple of inches. It seems to have worked ok so I shall remember this technique!
I am pretty pleased that my zip seems to be square to the edges of the cushion and the zip is all neatly hidden away. I managed to sew up really close to the zip using my zipper foot.
I hope that this isn't too close, will the fabric catch in the teeth?. I think it is ok. Its not like I will be using the zipper very often. I like this technique for hiding the zip away. It looks so much neater than having it on display.
I wish I had been able to face doing piping for this cushion as I think it would have really made the finished cushion look professional, but I knew I wouldn't get the cushion finished any time soon, if I stopped to make piping. The piping would have finished me off!
I think maybe piping would have held the seams a bit more rigid and straight. I just used toy stuffing as I didn't have a cushion pad that would fit my tiny cushion, but it seems to have worked ok.
The finished cushion may not be great but it has taught me a lot of different skills, not the least of which is hand quilting and adding zips. These are pretty important skills, the rest will come with practice.